Interested in getting involved?
Without the help of volunteers and interns, La Peña Cultural Center would not be able to present over 200 art shows a year and offer more than 15 Roots Arts classes. The help of interns and volunteers is crucial for La Peña’s success. Read below for more information on Volunteering and Interning at La Peña, the East Bay’s beacon of Latinx culture and beyond!
Volunteers have played a vital role in the life of La Peña. Volunteers have the opportunity to experience the amazing art, culture, politics, and community of La Peña while making an important contribution. Our greatest need for volunteers is the staffing of our weekly Thursday through Sunday evening programs. Volunteer program staffing involves set-up/tear-down for events, greet guests as they arrive, and take tickets at the door while enjoying a free show!
Volunteers can play other roles at La Peña as well, including assisting with special projects, fundraising, publicity, office work, facilities maintenance, etc. The center benefits from community involvement and having donated labor keeps our center affordable to many people. Volunteer twice a month and earn free admission to all La Peña programs.
We need your help to staff our programs, aide in grassroots publicity, participate in fundraising activities, bulk mailings, and much more. We also use volunteers for graphic design projects, and other specialized skill sets! Contact us if you would like to volunteer and we will see how your availability and skill sets can best serve La Peña’s needs.
An internship at La Peña will give you real world experience that you will take with you for the rest of your life. It can jump-start relationships with many organizations that we work with, not to mention all of the new skills you will develop and the satisfaction you will get when you experience first-hand how your work positively affects the many communities we serve. Our interns have moved on to work in different organization in the Bay Area and beyond!
Interns are required to commit 10 hours per week for a minimum of 3 months to the organization. Summer internships can be shorter.
- Administrative Work: Support staff in day-to-day work of nonprofit administration, including processing donations, database maintenance, etc.
- Graphic Design: Designing flyers, posters and other publicity materials for La Peña programs. This would involve working with La Peña’s Publicity and Program Coordinators.
- Web Design/Development: Supporting the process of re-designing our website and working with staff to regularly update it. Helping to train staff in software that will make web design easy (depending on intern’s own skills).
- Program Staffing: Staffing our evening programs includes working with the House Manager to set and clean up the house, work as an usher and/or sell tickets during the program. All interns would be expected to spend a portion of their hours doing this work and could learn to be house manager themselves.
- Community Outreach/Publicity: Work with Publicity Coordinator on outreaching to the media, writing press releases, etc.
- Program Documentation: Video/audio/photographic documentation of La Peña’s programs. Could include video and/or audio recording of La Peña’s programs and editing them for multiple uses, including general publicity, posting on our website, etc.
- Programming Support: Work with Program Coordinator to book programs, respond to potential performers/groups, coordinate logistics for programs, etc. Help initiate/organize special programming initiatives, series, festivals, etc.
- Fundraising: Work with Development Director and Development Associate in planning/organizing fundraising activities, including annual fundraising benefit, house parties, raffle, etc.
Contact us! We are looking forward to discussing how your skill-set and interests can mutually benefit La Peña and enable your growth as an individual and as a working professional!
Connect with us:
La Peña Cultural Center